Call us Now

What to Do If You’re In An Accident in a Parking Lot

Parking Lot Accident

The following is a question I was asked on WAVE Listens by someone who was in a car accident in a mall parking lot. They wanted to know whether or not the police would come. In my answer I explain to them what to do if you are in a car accident at the mall parking lot, or any parking lot for that manner, and the steps that need to be taken to make sure the accident is handled correctly and all needed evidence and information is collected.

Question: Say there’s an accident in the parking lot mall. Is a police officer not going to come?

Answer: A police officer will not come to a mall parking lot to investigate a car accident because the accident occurred on private property. Usually there is the security for the mall or the establishment that may come and document the accident and the injuries. The police do not have to come. It is important that you collect the following information: get the license number of the individual. The reason I say this is in case the person gives you a false address or false information, that license number will allow you to track them down through the Department of Motor Vehicles.

After you collect all of the information, you leave, go home and call Frankfort and ask for a Civilian Accident Report. When it is sent to you fill it out and return it. This will be part of the official report along with the at fault person’s report. A copy of that report should be requested about 2 weeks later. You should also call your insurance company and report the accident. I would also call the at-fault party’s insurance company and report the accident to them. A lot of times has not called there insurance company so you need to take the action to get that done.
The bottom line is you have to be proactive and take matters into your own hands. In these cases you are the investigating officer and must preserve all the evidence.

About the author: Mike Schafer

Leave a comment

All fields marked (*) are required